CNAs may be tested on how to change an adult brief. Brief application likely will be a task that a CNA will have to perform as a part of their responsibilities assisting residents. Properly performing the CNA skill of an adult brief application will be a part of the skills test in many states. .
To learn all the necessary steps for this skill, please watch this CNA Skills Brief Application for a complete demonstration of the skill.
CNA Skill – Brief Application
The process for adult brief application on the CNA skills exam is as follows:
- Perform the standard CNA beginning tasks. Knock before entering the patient’s room, greet the patient by name, introduce yourself, explain the task you are about to perform, close the privacy curtain, and wash your hands. .
- Ask the patient if you may lower their head down in the bed and do so.
- Lower the slide rail and don gloves.
- Lower the blankets and raise the gown, and remove the old adult brief.
- Resecure the tape to the old adult brief, preventing the tape from sticking to the resident’s skin.
- Check for urine and stool. If so, wipe from front to back and place the used wipe into the used adult brief.
- Ask patient to turn to their left side, then clean off the patient’s back side.
- Roll the used undergarment up so as to not soil the bed sheet.
- Then place the new adult brief under him.
- Center the new adult brief on the patient and roll the brief up, making enough room for tape.
- Then have the resident roll back.
- Move over to the other side of the bed and have the resident roll the other way.
- Secure the tapes on both sides.
- Be sure the tapes are snug, but not too tight.
- Remove your gloves.
- Lower the resident’s garments and then pull the blankets back over the resident.
- Place bed back into the desired position.
- Make notes of any irregularities in the urine or stool of the resident
- Perform your standard completion tasks – wash your hands, ensure the patient has a clean environment, ask if they are comfortable, give them their call light and close their privacy curtain.
* Please be sure to consult the testing materials provided by the skills test provider in your state to ensure that these steps for CNA Skill Brief Application are in compliance. The procedure in different states and from different test providers can vary slightly and greatly affect your score.