How to Become a CNA in Hawaii
A candidate must complete the following on order to become a CNA in the state of Hawaii:
- Pick and choose from a prescribed list of state-approved CNA Training Programs.
- Fill out and complete an application form endorsed by Prometric.
- Successfully complete both portions of the Competency Examinations (skills and knowledge-based).
- Candidate information bulletin
- List of state-approved CNA training programs
- Change request form
- Online application form
- Track application status
- Online Verification Hawaii Nurse Aide Certification
Verifying a CNA Certificate in Hawaii
You may use the link below from Prometric’s website to verify any CNA certificate in Hawaii.
CNA Certification Renewal
The state of Hawaii requires its CNA’s to renew their certificates every 2 years. Eligibility for the said renewal depends on the following:
- Completion of a CNA renewal form from the Prometric website.
- 8 hours or more of any paid service related to nursing or direct care under the auspices of a registered or licensed nurse.
Reinstating a Lapsed CNA Certificate
Applicants with expired certificates are allowed to get re-certified which can be accomplished by doing either of the following:
- Provided that the training program they’ve previously attended is currently on the state-approved training programs, they may retake the competency exam from there.
- If the training program they’ve previously attended is currently not on the state-approved training programs, they must choose another training program that is currently state-approved and complete it along with retaking the competency exam.
Application to reinstate lapsed certificate
Transferring an Out-of-state CNA Certification
Another option for a potential CNA candidate is to have their certification transferred via reciprocity. These are the steps to have an out-of-state CNA certificate added to the registry:
- Fill out the reciprocity application form
- Attach a copy of your currently active certificate from the state it was obtain.
- Submit the aforementioned requirements, documents, and fees to Prometric.
Contact Prometric for an Application for Certification by Reciprocity
If you have additional questions, you may contact the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry at:
Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Professional & Vocational Licensing
Honolulu, HI 96801
Phone: (808) 739-8122
Fax: (808) 734-8318
Prometric – HI Nurse Aide
354 Uluniu Street, Suite 308, Kailua, HI 96734
Phone: (800) 967-1200