Becoming a New CNA in Maine
- Filling an application form in the CNA Registry of Maine
- Completion of a state-approved CNA training program in the last 2 years consisting 90 hours of classroom attendance, 70 hours of actual practice, and 20 hours of laboratory for a combined total of 180 hours.
- Completion of the competency test which consists of a skills and oral/written knowledge evaluation test.
- Submission of documents that implies the successful completion of training and supporting papers that proves you’re free from any legal/criminal liabilities.
- FAQ for CNAs in Maine
- Application form
- Maines approved CNA training program
- Maine CNA competency test
Verifying a Certification Status in Maine
You or your employer can check the current status of your CNA certification by entering the CNA’s name or license number via the registry look-up tool online.
Certificate Renewal for Nurse Assistants
A renewal request must be submitted every 2 years. The CNA Registry informs its nurse aides by sending out reminders 60 days prior to the expiration date. Any CNA that fails to renew their license will unable to work until the said license has been renewed.
Reinstating a Lapsed CNA Certification
If an applicant has performed a minimum of 8 hours of nursing related work prior to having lapsed certification can opt for a reinstatement by submitting a renewal form. Else, retaking all the necessary training and examination will be required.
Transferring an Out-of-state CNA Certification
There are a number of options when it comes to transferring a CNA certification from one state to another. Some states allow a certification transfer via reciprocity while some will require some form of retraining and retesting along with associated fees. You can verify this requirements by visiting the National Council of State Boards of Nursing website and utilizing the search tool.
- Bridge Examination for CNAs Trained Out-of-State
- Criminal Background checks
- Annotations on the Registry
- Petition to remove an Annotation of Neglect
- Employment Restrictions
- Substantiated Complaints
- Fraudulent Applications
- CNA-Medication Aide (CNA-M)
If you have additional questions, you may contact the Maine Nurse Aide Registry at:
Maine Registry of Certified Nursing Assistants & Direct Care Workers
State House Station #11, 41 Anthony Avenue
Augusta Maine 04333
TDD Number: 1-800-606-0215