Certifying a CNA in Nebraska
Becoming a CNA in the state of Nebraska by having your name enlisted in the Nurse Aide Registry can be achieved by the following procedures:
- Completion of a CNA training program approved by the the state of Nebraska which is composed of at least 76 hours worth of training, 16 hours of which is composed of practical training and an hour of Nebraska Abuse/Neglect/Misappropriation Training course.
- Getting a passing score in the oral and written part of the examination program.
Once all of these requirements have been met, your name will be added to the Nebraska Nurse Aide Registry which officially licenses you to work as a CNA.
Other Pathways of Becoming a CNA in Nebraska
Below is a list of other professions that are eligible for CNA certification as well as a link of corresponding requirements:
- Nursing Students
- RNs and LPNs
- Foreign Trained Nurses
- Trained in the Military
Verifying your CNA Certification in Nebraska
Having your CNA certification verified just takes a visit to the link below and providing the necessary information for proper identification.
CNA Certification Renewal in Nebraska
A CNA’s certification status will remain active as long as he/she is able to provide compensated nurse aide related service during his/her 2 year period. CNA’s will receive renewal forms prior to the expiration date of the their certificate that must then be completed and submitted to the Nurse Aide Registry.
Recertification of a Lapsed CNA Certificate in Nebraska
A certificate that has lapsed beyond the 2 year period will be labeled as inactive and must therefore be re-certified prior to continuing work as a CNA. Re-certification entails retaking the competency exam.
Out-of-state Transfer of a CNA Certification
CNA’s that currently hold a certificate from another state can also be certified in the state of Nebraska via interstate endorsement which can be accomplished by filling out an interstate endorsement form. Listed bellow are the requirements:
- Supporting documents that certify that you’ve obtained your nurse aide training from the origin state.
- If proof of employment is not available, completion of a competency evaluation exam from a stated-approved re-certification institute will be required.
- Currently in good standing from the state which the certificate was obtained.
- Completion of a one-hour Nebraska Abuse/Neglect/Misappropriation Training course.
If you have additional questions, you may contact the Nebraska Nurse Aide Registry at:
Nebraska Nurse Aide Registry
The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Nursing and Nursing Support
Post Office Box 94986
Lincoln, NE 68509
Phone: (402) 471-0537