Initial CNA Certification in New Jersey
An applicant that plans on pursuing a career as an LNA must meet the following criteria in accordance to the standards by the state registry. These are:
- Successful completion of the Nurse Aide Training and Competency Program (NATCEP) consisting of 40 hours of clinical work and 50 hours of academic participation.
- Pass a background check.
- Candidate Bulletin
- Approved NATCEPs
- Re-take Registration Form
- Request Change Form
- Special Arrangement Request Form
- New Jersey CAN FAQs
LNA Certificate Verification
You can have your license easily verified by providing pertinent details such as your first name, last name, and license number in the link below.
Nurse Aide Certificate Renewal in New Jersey
Nurse aides are required to have their license renewed every 2 years in the New Jersey State Registry. The following are the minimum requirements:
- Current holder of an active certificate
- Free from any license suspension or revocation
- Has passed a criminal background check before the expiration date
- Has performed at least 7 hours of compensated nurse-related services within the last 2 years prior to the certificate expiration date
A renewal reminder with a renewal form will be sent to candidates 60 days before the expiration of their license.
Reinstatement of a Lapsed LNA Certificate
The Department of Health can issue a waiver to any certificate holder that has lapsed for more than five years can for reinstatement. However, a lapsed certificate holder must first retrain and pass both the skills and written examination before being considered for reinstatement.
In cases where the expiration is less than five years, applicants must pass both the skills evaluation and written examination without retraining. However, failure to pass any of the examinations will entail retraining before being admitted for a retest. After the requirements have been satisfied, a waiver form can then be submitted to the Department of Health.
Out-of-State Certification Transfer via Reciprocity
CNAs that have obtained their license from another state can opt to transfer to New Jersey if they:
- Have proof of successfully passing the Nurse Aide Training and Competency Program (NATCEP)
- Currently in good standing from the state where the certification was obtained from
- Have passed a background check
To apply for certification by reciprocity, call 1-877-774-4243.
Application by Reciprocity Information
If you have additional questions, you may contact the New Jersey Nurse Aide Registry at:
New Jersey Nurse Aide Registry
NJ Department of Health
Certification Program – Certificate of Need and Licensing
P.O. Box 358
25 South Stockton Street, Trenton, NJ 08608-1832