Initial Requirements for New CNAs in Vermont
An applicant that plans on pursuing a career as a CNA in the state of Vermont must first acquire a license within the nurse registry which can be achieved by:
- Successful completion of a CNA training program approved by the state of Vermont which is seventy five (75) hours in total including sixteen (16) hours of clinical participation.
- Achieving a passing score in both portions of the CNA certification which are the knowledge-based consisting of seventy (70) questions and skills-based consisting of five (5) random clinical skills. The specified time limit for the said portions are ninety (90) minutes and thirty (30) minutes respectively.
- Application Instructions for Your Initial Vermont License
- Verification of Education
- Verification of Education for Nursing Students
- Test Application Form
- American Red Cross Testing Service
- Approved NA Education Programs
LNA License Verification
Those seeking a means to have their license verified may do so by visiting the link below. Please keep in mind that in order to process the query, one will need to provide a License Number or the First Name and Last Name.
Renewing a CNA License in Vermont
The CNA certification issued by the nurse registry in Vermont is only valid for two (2) years. In order to renew the said certificate, CNAs are required to perform four hundred (400) hours or more of compensated nurse-related service during the latest certification period. Applicants that fail to meet the said requirement must take the state certification exams.
Certification Reinstatement in Vermont
Candidates that are unable to have their license renewed as mentioned above you must retrain and retake the licensing evaluation exam.
Transferring an Out-of-State License to Vermont
The nurse aide registry in the state of Vermont will accept CNA transferees from other states that are currently active and unencumbered. However, the state in which the certification was obtained must maintain the same standards as the state of Vermont in order for the certification transfer to be valid.
If you have additional questions, you may contact the Vermont Nurse Aide Registry at:
Vermont Nursing Assistant Registry
Heritage Building, 81 River Street
Montpelier, VT 05609
Phone: (802) 828-2819
Fax: (802) 828-2484